Leek, a biennial vegetable plant is an excellent source of folic acid and good source of potassium and iron. Leek also contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, copper and calcium.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 medium asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into approximately 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of leek (white and light green parts), sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy alternative
- 2/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, swiss)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add leek, kale and asparagus; season with salt and pepper. Let cook while stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheddar cheese and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Sprinkle crust with feta cheese; top with asparagus mixture and pour egg mixture on top.
5. Bake until center of quiche is just set, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.